Parenting Roller Coaster
A roller coaster is a good image of parenting: thrilling, suspenseful, terrifying, exalting, exhausting, and hilarious. Sometimes we hang on because we don’t know what else to do.
The truth is that there are as many ways to parent as there are children because our parenting styles mix cultural background, past experience with one’s own parents/guardians with the age and personality of the one’s child.
What is “Good” Parenting?
In spite of various backgrounds, experience and personalities, there are some common practices that have been studied that make for good parenting outcomes, children who are well-disciplined, well-mannered, well-intentioned, and want to learn and achieve.
The basis of the these common practices is:
- Understanding your child’s developmental needs
- Setting and maintaining proper limits for the age and needs of your child
- Showing your child deep love and affection
Information for Parents
- Parenting the infant, toddler, and preschooler
- Parenting the school-aged child
- Parenting the pre-teen and teenager
- DVD/Video: Discipline. Order on the following forms.
All publications on Parenting in English
All publications on Parenting in Spanish
All publications on Parenting in Chinese
All publications on Parenting in Vietnamese
(510) 747-4567 or 1-877-371-2222
CRS 711 / TTY 1-800-735-2929
Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.